The most important part to consider is 'What can go wrong?'.

In the case of making 1.0 and deleting if it fails, let's imagine the
release then pauses. For example Collections 3.3. We would then have
the possibility of a 3.3 tag that people would think meant something.

In the case of making 1.0-rc1 and declaring it good, let's imagine the
releaser does a release and forgets to do the copy. In that case we
have a release but the tag it came from is not clear.

Neither good, but the latter is easily rectified with some mail
archive digging. The former case we never hear about.

So much as I like KISS, going with the 1.0-rc1 etc is the least
confusing to the user imo.

Hen