On 6 December 2010 02:04, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>
> Since the last candidate the package name was changed from vfs to vfs2. Many
> of the Jira issues were reviewed and those that required a possibly
> incompatible API change were addressed. Most instances of StringBuffer were
> replaced with StringBuilder. Some synchronization issues were addressed. Many
> javadoc and some checkstyle issues were addressed. The filesystem
> documentation was improved to list file system capabilities.
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [X] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Ralph
>
> tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/tags/commons-vfs2-project-2.0/
>   (revision 1042381).
>
> site: http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/index.html

Does not mention that the new release uses a new package name and
requires source updates to use.
Ditto the Maven changes.

changes.xml has not been updated with a description of the release.
Also, the date will need to be changed at some point.

I still think we should have tried to maintain binary compatibility -
which I think would have been possible.
However, assuming that the compatibility break is what the majority
wants, this needs to be made very obvious, and there should be upgrade
notes describing how to perform the change.

IMO there should be some RELEASE_NOTES in the source and binary archives.

The source archive should probably exclude the DOAP.