Hi,

Phil Steitz wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 7:48 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 December 2010 00:11, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Ralph Goers
>> > <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com

>> understanding
>> in
>> generate

>> generated
>> distribution
>> they

>> > I personally don't have a problem with the out-of-synch condition.
>> > What
>> is
>> > important is, like changes.xml or any other file, what gets tagged and
>> > released.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I think it's vital that the release notes are included in the source
>> release.
>>
>> The user should not be required to run a command to create the release
>> notes.
>>
>> But the RM should definitely *look at* the generated release notes and,
> IMO, intentionally committing them is a good thing.  Nothing generated
> directly from maven has ever met my expectations in terms of formatting
> and
> content, so I have always ended up tweaking the generated files.  I don't
> see this as onerous, personally.

Then why not generating it directly before the release manually, "finalize"
it and commit it? After a release it can be deleted again in svn.

All we need then is a verification that the file exists while releasing.
This can be done by the verifier plugin (best to bind the goal to the
validation phase) in the release profile.

- Jörg