On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Mikkel Meyer Andersen <m...@mikl.dk> wrote:

> 2011/1/3 Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Mikkel Meyer Andersen <m...@mikl.dk>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You're right, Phil. Support for beta is [0, 1] and not (0, 1) as stated
> on
> >> Wikipedia. As you mention, support for continuous distributions is
> closed,
> >> hence the corresponding isInclusive-functions can be discussed. I
> thought
> >> about it being useful for infinity, but we could let users deal with
> this
> >> themselves?
> >>

> > Yeah, sorry I missed this before.  It hit me when I was  working on the
> 2_X
> > retrofit and it looked like Beta was wrong (I see now Wikipedia seems to
> be
> > using some other definition - or is just wrong).  I dropped the
> > inclusive/exclusive functions there.  I think in the discrete case, this
> can
> > be handled by convention and the only issue there is the same as the
> > continuous one - infinities - but these are all the same.  So I propose
> that
> > we drop these functions in 3.0 as well.  The isSupportConnected property
> > still logically makes sense; though it is always true for the 2_X
> > distributions, so I dropped it there.
> +1
> I agree. For now we don't need them, neither in 2.2 nor 3.0. Is there
> any sense in keeping them if we later on includes distributions where
> it would be beneficial to have such functions, or should we simply
> just add them then?

I am happy to keep them if I can get a clear understanding of what they
mean.  As I said in the original post, I think I must be missing something
that makes them meaningful.  If you use the definition that I gave of
support, other than infinities, the endpoints are always going to be
included.  Could well be I am missing something.

Phil