Sebb;
Lets not return the pb; Java6 is not downwards compatible with Java 1.5.
There is a cost in maintaining 2 JDKs on 3 boxes, a cost in remembering that
@Override can not be used on interfaces implementation, that addAll is not
there, a cost in switching environments before using mvn and publishing,
etc. All these "little" things that accumulated make it a pain in the a....

But, again, the main point is just that it is not useful to maintain Java
1.5 which is eol; JEXL3 is a new project API intended for active/new
projects and thus will be used and deployed on Java 6. Besides, there is
always JEXL 2.1 - soon to be released I hope - which will cover the Java 1.5
aficionados needs.
Why do you want to impose an unnecessary compatibility ? Is there anything
in the Commons charter that states that obsolete platforms need to be
deployment targets? And IMHO, it is a disservice to the Java community to
let them run new APIs on Java 1.5 when Java7 is out.

Finally, do you really need to challenge any change or evolution even when
not related to stability or quality ? Will we have to call votes for
everything and anything ? And then we wonder why people seem to be fed up;
re-read Simo, JamesC, GaryG recent message in the "[JEXL] Jexl 2.1"
thread...

Regards,
Henrib