On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think all that Sebastian is saying is something like "if you can
>> create your new, cool API and the only things you really miss from
>> Java 6 are @Override on interface implementation methods and
>> ServiceLoader, for example, maybe it's worth that tiny bit of extra
>> pain to reach that slightly larger audience."  We all feel frustrated
>> from time to time working in the community setting; I've been there
>> myself, but I don't think Seb is just trying to be a killjoy just for
>> the hell of it.
>
> Yes, you might be right on this interpretation.
>
> As long as there a volunteers for maintaining jexl2 on j5 setting, I
> am fine with keeping j5 for it. To be clear, I am not saying we kill
> jexl2 today or quit jdk5 support for jexl2.
>
> But we should not make it a policy to start a new, major version with
> the lowest JDK version possible when the actual maintainers would like
> to use a current platform - this needs no discussion imho, they should
> simply do as they please.

I agree that the developers of a component should do as they
[collectively] please.  However, in the case of [jexl] it appears that
Seb is interested in the development of this component.  He may
continue to be interested in the development of a v3.x of [jexl].  Now
we don't have as clear-cut a case of do-ocracy and henrib just doing
what he pleases anymore, because he has to do instead "as near as he
can get to what he pleases while still functioning in a
consensus-based manner."  A possible sequence of events:

  - henrib proposes that [jexl] include feature X, using feature Y
from Java 6, thus justifying this minimum version.  Assuming the
community doesn't vote down the feature on its own merits, Java 6 it
is.
 - sebb can then come along say, hey, I know we agreed on feature X,
but I can put in 4 hours of work or create a new Commons component to
reimplement feature Y, and now Java 5 users can also benefit from
[jexl] 3!

Assuming someone else is willing to do the *actual* work required to
keep Java 5 compatibility, are you really going to spend time and
energy fighting for interface @Overrides?  Obviously there would
probably be some point at which Seb in this example would say, sure, I
could reimplement feature Y, but it's going to take ten hours, twenty
hours.  Not worth it; have your Java 6!

This is the way I see our community as having to function.

Matt