Matt Benson-2 wrote

> Maybe the right approach is to start with Java 6, then whoever likes to
> can
> investigate how much work it would take to restore Java 5
> compatibility.

Seems like a reasonable proposal to me; it means Java 1.5 is a "nice to
have" feature - not a "must have" - feature as it currently stands.
If someone needs a Java 1.5 backport, he can contribute to the project by
doing so. Do-ocracy at work.
Fair enough?
Cheers
Henrib

PS: may be at the process/Commons level, we could introduce another category
for of our projects.
Instead of the current 3 "Proper, Sandbox, Dormant", something like "Stable
(1.5-able), Proper, Sandox, Dormant" or "Modern, Proper (1.5 able), Sandbox,
Dormant". So new versions can go "modern" till the need arise & a
contribution is made for a "stable" version. Just a thought...