Hola Claud.io,

>  * a set of interfaces: e.g. HasWeightedEdges#getWeight(edge),
>   HasWeightedVertices#getWeight(vertex), etc.
>  * #1 implementation with external properties: the graph keeps the
>   mapping between edge/vertex and weight, so that any type can be used
>   for edges/vertices
>  * #2 classical implementation: we keep markers like WeightedEdge and
>   WeightedVertex but only the graph knows about them. algorithms keep
>   asking the graph for weights of edges/vertices, and the graph in
>   turn asks the edge/vertex itself (passed as parameter).
>
> WDYT?

Apologize but I still don't understand what the benefit is on storing
nodes/arcs data in the Graph data structure - sounds to me like a
Collection<Integer> where, to know the int value of its elements, have
to query the data structure, i.e.

Collection<Integer> integerCollection = ...;
for ( Integer ptr : integerCollection )
{
    int value = integerCollection.getInt( ptr );
}

It is weird to me even reading it.

When I started modeling Graph, I had collections in mind - above all
to simplify its adoption - I would be more than pleased to drop
Weighted* version of graphs and come back to the previous situation,
but with the annoying  type inference issue fixed.

> no, trying to be clearer: you propose to rename Monoid into WeightOperation,
> which is like renaming Addition into Operation. Or alternatively to call the
> current *WeightBaseOperations something like *WeightMonoid. In both cases I
> disagree because I would prefer to keep a clear distinction between single
> well-defined properties/operations (like Addition or Comparator) and the
> comprehensive implementation (e.g. DoubleWeightBaseOperations) that
> implements all the operations it can implement with Doubles.

OK, concept is clear, I still don't agree on the nomenclature, anyway.
Actually *WeightBaseOperations describe
*WeightAdditionalOrderedMonoid, so *BaseOperations doesn't sound self
explaining.

Moreover, The Zero interface is the *additional* monoid identity
element, if someone has to implement the Multiplication Monoid I
wouldn't expect he implements the One interface wich declares O one()
method.
This is why IMHO in the current algebra model, Zero has to be dropped
and has to be modified in:

/**
 * semigroup is an algebraic structure consisting of a set together
with an associative binary operation.
 */
interface Semigroup<E>
{

    E append( E s1, E s2 );

}

/**
 * A {@link Monoid} is a {@link Semigroup} with an identity value.
 */
public interface Monoid<E>
    extends Semigroup<M>
{

   E identity();

   E inverse( E element );

}

that would continue working for every Monoid specialization. Or not? thoughts?
Thanks and best,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi