On 19 March 2013 14:44, Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all guys,
>
> is there anything you want to discuss before I go ahead with a new RC?
> I am performing some ITs in non-public projects and I planned to cut a
> new RC in 1-2 days...

I think there are still some issues in Base64Decoder (this time not
ones I accidentally introduced - sorry about that!).

For example, it does not seem to handle whitespace properly -
certainly not in the last 4 bytes.
Nor does it detect invalid characters in input - AFAICT these will be
treated as binary (because the decoding table is initialised to 0).

With the new  version of the code, skipped characters can cause array
bounds errors after the main loop, because finish is calculated
without taking skipped characters into account, thus the loop can
consume additional bytes. In the original version, this would not
cause array bounds errors, but the same byte could be used more than
once.

I think it really needs to be rewritten, which I am happy to do.
I intend to fetch the bytes, skipping as necessary otherwise storing
them in an array. When there are 3 bytes available, output them and
resume.
At end of input, output any remaining bytes.

It remains to be decided how to handle '=' before the end of the byte
data - does that signal end of input, or is it an error if '=' appears
other than at the end?
Indeed, should it handle whitespace at all, and if so are there
restrictions where that may appear?

QPD has problems too: it assumes that characters following '=' are
hex, but does not validate this.
It also fails to handle lowercase hex, which is not very tolerant.
Also the exception messages aren't specific enough - cannot
distinguish truncated encoded sequence from invalid CRLF pair.
Again, I can take this on.

Given that MimeUtil seems to strip spaces on input, do the decoders
need to handle embedded spaces?