On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Mark Fortner <phidia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jörg,
> Thanks for the link, but I don't think that quite addresses the issue.
>
> What I'd like to see is the ability to automatically install a VFS provider
> that isn't already on your local machine.  For example, if I wanted to see
> a directory listing of "sftp://someserver/somedir"; and I don't already have
> the SFTP provider installed, VFS would download and install it for me.
>  This is similar to the way in which Groovy's @Grab annotation
> automatically installs dependencies when you attempt to run a script whose
> dependencies you don't have.

But why bother? Providers are small, unless they depend on a pile of
other jars. Then how would you deal with that? Would VFS then have to
depend on Maven, Ivy or Aether for transitive dependency management.
It sounds out of scope for VFS to me, but it could be an interesting
standalone project that other projects could depend on...

Gary

> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Mark Fortner wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > It was proprietary code for the company I worked for at the time.  I
>> don't
>> > have access to the code any longer, but it was based on Sun/Oracle's
>> YANFS
>> > implementation and wasn't that difficult to write.   YANFS uses BSD now
>> > (it
>> > used to be CDDL).  I'm not sure if the licenses are compatible.
>> >
>> > Part of the reason that I'd like to have some way of resolving 3rd party
>> > providers, is that the user would be able to get the provider, regardless
>> > of the flavor of open source license used.
>>
>> This has always been possible:
>> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-vfs/api.html#Configuring_Commons_VFS
>>
>> - Jörg

E-Mail: garydgreg...@gmail.com | ggreg...@apache.org