Hi Gary,

Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> As probably the only person that "supports"' Jelly, a dormant to be for
>>> sure, I find the word leprosy outrageous.
>>>
>>> I am happy to stay on list, I even read posts regularly, but I cannot
>>> find time or motivation to fix bugs or do new releases. I respond to any
>>> Jelly question I find.
>>>
>>> Jelly has gone 1.0 and is in use here and there.
>>> I would expect users to be interested to make it advance to come to jira
>>> and suggest fixes; I am happy to negotiate them and apply them, and
>>> maybe, if things get excited, there might be a release one day.
>>>
>>> However, moving it to a place where you would never commit would sign
>>> its death.
>>
>> The proposal is not to move it anywhere, just designate it as
>> dormant so people know no one is currently working on it.
>
> We could avoid labeling a project with any words by simply listing the
> last release date. Each project in turn could have a section in its
> overview with a history of releases. This would help users make up
> their mind.

Based on a release date only, vfs is dormant. Therefore I like Hen's
approach, since every committer (or even interested user) has now the
possibility to make his interest/commitment explicit.

Actually we could repeat the this challenge on a yearly base (again with an
empty file). A dormant label can get away in an instance if enough people
show interest. It would be even better without a dormant section in svn
(with Git it is gone anyway). Currently it takes more effort to awake a
component.

Just because a component is "dormant" does not mean that its maturity has
gone.

- Jörg