On 14 October 2013 02:21, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2013, at 4:31 PM, sebb wrote:
>
>> Recently, I found that the Maven project RMs don't bother removing these.
>> So the files are released to Maven Central with the rest.
>> I assume that the Maven Central administrators don't care about the
>> extra space needed.
>>
>> Now ASF source releases must be provided via the ASF mirror system.
>> There does not seem to be any ruling on whether having additional
>> copies of the source release elsehere is allowed or not.
>>
>> I tried asking on Infra whether source releases should only be
>> published to the ASF mirror system, but got no answer.
>> Perhaps someone else would like to try?
>>
>> It would obviously be a lot easier if the Nexus directory did not have
>> to be purged of these files, as this has to be carefully co-ordinated
>> with copying the files for the ASF mirror SVN repo.
>
> Whether they have to be removed or not as a user I find them being published
> to Maven central to be annoying since they are pretty much useless as Maven
> artifacts.

Indeed.

The issue here is that deleting files from a closed staging area is
prone to errors as the Nexus GUI is quite fiddly (and the confirmation
pop-up does not show the name of the file being deleted).

>>> I gave up trying to remove the absurd .asc.sha1 and
>>> .asc.md5 files for JCI, there was too many of them (12 files per
>>> artifact, 6 artifacts).
>>
>> That could be automated (I started working on a tool to do this, but
>> other things intervened).
>> It's a long-standing Maven bug. The files can be left, but it makes
>> checking the directory tedious.
>
> See http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide step 11c.  I'm not sure
> why rm *.asc.md5 is a problem.  Even if they are in separate directories the
> find command works pretty well.

Find and rm do not work on Nexus, which is one place where the
spurious files are annoying.
Also it's easy to delete the wrong file in Nexus (so this should be
done before closing the staging area - if it is done at all)