On 17/04/2014 22:38, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

<snip/>
But theoretically both is possible: consume FileSystems as a provider
or implement an adapter which makes a VFS filesystem(manager) to
provide the FileSystem SPI.
I have been playing with that and it looks possible, but it is far from trivial. The meagre documentation or even lack of published success in writing NIO2 providers shows that this is a road less travelled. I have looked at the supplied ZIP example that comes with the JDK and IMHO still very much prototype code.

I think VFS has some things going for it that I could not see in NIO2 - even something as simple as having two schemes for one provider. In addition, adding providers on the fly is easy in VFS, by just calling addProvider on FilesystemManager. From my initial investigation I could not see a clear way of doing the equivalent in NIO2. There will be more things like these, I am sure.

I am very interesting in where this is going in future and the maintainer of Groovy VFS, I have a vested interest. I might be interested to go to Budapest in November if this gets discussed.

<snip/>

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
@ysb33r