On 18 December 2014 at 23:56, Luc Maisonobe <l...@spaceroots.org> wrote:
> Le 19/12/2014 00:50, sebb a écrit :
>> On 18 December 2014 at 23:19, Luc Maisonobe <l...@spaceroots.org> wrote:
>>> This is a [VOTE] for releasing Apache Commons Math 3.4.
>>>
>>> Note that since [math] now uses git, access to the tag is slightly
>>> different from other components. To clone a fresh tag, run this command
>>> (beware I have split it in 2 lines below):
>>>
>>>   git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-math.git \
>>>             --branch MATH_3_4_RC1
>>
>> -1
>>
>> This is insufficient to identify the code; branches are not immutable.
>>
>> Most (all?) other Git projects use a URL which includes the hash.
>> For example, a current Incubator vote includes the following:
>>
>> The Git commit ID is 94b42b85e80efd817f951326238864
>> e37edc2cb0
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-brooklyn.git;a=commit;h=94b42b85e80efd817f951326238864e37edc2cb0
>
> The SHA1 is stored directly in the manifest, withing the distribution.
> For this release candidate, it is
>
> cf4a9d70c9ac24dd7196995390171150e4e56451
>
> I agree I did not put it in the mail, but you can check it in the artifacts.

The point is to be able to trace provenance from the VOTE to the
released artifacts.

Also to make it easy for the reviewers to be able to check the release
candidate without having to jump through hoops.

It is not clear to me how I can use the SHA1 hash to get the exact set
of files from Git that were used to create the release artifacts.

The VOTE email should include all the information needed to validate a release.