On 19 December 2014 at 10:36, Luc Maisonobe <l...@spaceroots.org> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> Le 19/12/2014 11:17, sebb a écrit :

>>> So do you want me to cancel the vote, redo all the process just because
>>> the *mail* did not include the SHA ?
>>
>> No.
>
> Thanks, this is a relief for me.
>

>>> Or should I cancel the vote and
>>> just relaunch it from the exact same artifacts (and hence still and RC1)
>>> to make the tag retrieving process clearer?
>>
>> The VOTE thread needs to include the information.
>> And it needs to be clear what artifacts people are voting on.
>> This can be done without respinning the release.
>
> So to be clear, I repeat the hash here:
>
> The tag points to commit cf4a9d70c9ac24dd7196995390171150e4e56451.
> The release artifacts were created from a fresh release of this tag.
> This hash appears in the manifest entry on the jar (near the end of the
> file), in the Implementation-Build entry.

It should not be necessary for reviewers to search through a jar file
to find this information.

Good idea to have it there, but it needs to be included in the e-mail as well.

>> If I were RM, I would find it easier to keep track of the process if a
>> new VOTE email were started.
>
> Sure. I have modified the instructions in our [math] release howto. I
> will copy this howto to the wiki as soon as I get write access on it.
>

>>> By the way MATH_3_4_RC1 is really a tag, its not a branch despite the
>>> command I suggested to retrieve it used the --branch option from git
>>> clone; this option accepts both tags and branches. But I agree, even
>>> tags in git can be deleted and recreated ... just like tags in svn which
>>> can also be changed despite policy is to not do it. So in reality, there
>>> is no less traceability here with a git tag than with a svn tag.
>>
>> This is why the VOTE e-mail needs the SVN revision or Git hash.
>>
>>> Furthermore, git tags can be GPG signed, which I did here.
>>>

>> In which case, include the sig in the e-mail please.
>
> Git tag signatures are stored by git itself, they are not detached .asc
> files. I already included the command to check the signature in the
> first vote email. You have to run
>
>   git tag -v MATH_3_4_RC1
>
> The result should be something like
>
> object cf4a9d70c9ac24dd7196995390171150e4e56451
> type commit
> tag MATH_3_4_RC1
> tagger Luc Maisonobe <l...@apache.org> 1418934614 +0100
>
> Creating Apache Commons Math v3.4 RC1 tag.
> gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 18 21:30:14 2014 CET using RSA key ID 02E9F65B
> gpg: Good signature from "Luc Maisonobe (CODE SIGNING KEY) <l...@apache.org>"
> gpg:                 aka "Luc Maisonobe <luc.maison...@c-s.fr>"
> gpg:                 aka "Luc Maisonobe <luc.maison...@free.fr>"
> gpg:                 aka "Luc Maisonobe <l...@orekit.org>"

AFAICT, this requires the reviewer to install Git (and understand how to use it)

Whereas with the sample Git URL I mentioned, it's possible to download
a zip of the tree.
Much easier to use.