Hello,

Thanks for looking into this. Let me reply inline (and prune the mail):

Am Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:03:20 -0500
schrieb <dlmar...@comcast.net>:
> > a) check the src/changes/changes.xml: all action entries with bug
> > numbers since the last release should be marked resolved (not
> > closed - actually all bugs on the jira report should be "resolved")
> > with fix version 2.1. Check which bugs are in the JIRA report with
> > a resolution different from resolved (make it look clean and tidy).
> > Check which bugs are resolved in jira, not mentioned in changes and
> > should be announced as good/critical change.
>
>       VFS-540 has commit comment from VFS-541.

Hm, not sure VFS-540 is about commons logging, VFS-541 is about commons
compress? At least in changes.xml and JIRA?

>       VFS-476 and VFS-540 are dupes, but both are listed in
> changes.xml. I assume one should be marked as a dupe and removed from
> changes.xml?

Hm, 476 was pushing logging to 1.1.3 and 540 to 1.2. We could remove
the older one (it will still be in the JIRA report) so the changes are
reduced (however it is still a long list so I would keep the two steps
and make a general "updated dependencies" summary line in the
announcement.

>       VFS-457 is still open.

Yes, I think I will keep it open for some more but we should have a
TODO list for the release:
https://wiki.apache.org/commons/VfsReleaseState

>       VFS-415 requires Java 1.6,
> announcement.vm needs to be updated.

I was unsure if this should be put into the .vm file (where some old
specific text is placed currently) or actually be part of the release
description in the changes.xml file. But I agree it needs to be made
explicite (added to above wiki page)

>       VFS-371 to 391 fixVersion is
> incorrect (is currently NightlyBuild)

Thanks I added 2.1 and remove nighltyBuild for all (+401, 202
2.0:307,131) of them (in the future it might be a good idea to use
nightly execlusively until the RC is cut. But for now I chose to
harmonize all to 2.1 as this is the majority of resolved issues).

> > b) check all open JIRA bugs if there are any with a trivial fix or
> > a pending patch or a totally dangerous sounding description (i.e.
> > blocker).
>
>  I don't feel that I know enough about the other providers to know
> what is trivial or dangerous. I did update VFS-530 for the HDFS
> provider though.

Yes, for the dependencies for providers there is a little conflict in
staying current and in having too high (i.e. not widely used) minimum
dependencies. Can you commont for hdfs, what is a widely used minimum
dependency, what is the latest. Maybe we need to test and document what
versions it actually runs with (different from the compile version).

> > c) check out vfs2-project/trunk on various systems (with compiler
> > zoo) and try to build it (including site goal).
>
> Linux x64:
>      'mvn clean package' built successfully with jdk1.6.0_45,
> jdk1.7.0_72, jdk1.8.0_25 **
>
> ** includes VFS-530-4.patch changes

Thanks.

> > f) the hadoop equals fix should be tested against a real use
> > (VFS-523)

Can you comment on this?

> > k) find out why "mvn -U -x clean site -P release,include-sandbox -
> > DskipPGP=true" fails with a dist/checkstyle-supression.xml problem,
> > report it as a bug and provide a patch (and provide a path)
> > (something around ${vfs.parent} I guess.
>
> The instructions at
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/examples/multi-module-config.html
> might resolve the issue. It involves creating another module, want me
> to take a crack at it?

I have also seen thos, I feel a bit uneasy about increasing the
complexity of this multi module build. So I would prefer if we can try
to resolve it with a property (basedir/vfs.parent, similar). Could you
maybe try this route first?

Gruss
Bernd