On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ok, lets start another try to get VFS released. (and refresh my
> memories who is volunteering for the RM? - I would do it but I think we
> need a PMC at close hand).
>
> Currently are 3 open blocker bugs, for one I have a patch pending, the
> other two I am inclined to downgrade when nobody takes care of
> them: They affect only a specific usecase, I am not sure if they are
> regressions at all (I dont want to discourage anybody to solve them,
> but I will not invest time before the release).
>
> I am not so familiar with all of the Release Process, so I hope
> somebody will help me, preferable from the PMC?
>

> Ralph summarized, what he remebers is needed, I want to comment on
> it:
>

>  Am Sat, 29 Nov 2014 19:54:42 -0700 schrieb Ralph Goers
> <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>:
>
> > I acted as release manager for 2.0.  I did that because at the time I
> > had a need for Commons VFS, I had a need to fix a bunch of stuff that
> > didn’t work in 1.0, and I had the necessary privileges to do it.
> > Since that time I have been focused on Log4j 2 almost completely with
> > what little time I have.  I have seen others commit fixes and
> > enhancements and like you, I have been surprised that no one has
> > bothered to perform a release. It should have happened a long time
> > ago.
> >
> > One challenge to releasing VFS is that unlike most Commons projects,
> > it is a multi-module project and it uses the Maven release plugin to
> > perform a release. While this makes things a bit more complicated it
> > still isn’t that hard to do.
>
> Actually so much time has passed, that it does no longer look hard for
> you. But when I look at the svn, I see no RC tags, a 2.0 tag which
> does not fit the 1.0 naming conventions, I see 12 tries to actually
> release the project (and quite a few rollbacks or tag copies). I would
> not call this "not hard". But I do agree, your writeup helps, and it
> should be possible (at least with PMC help). I tried to follow the
> release tries in the archives, thats helpfull too.
>
> > Unfortunately, I don’t believe I
> > documented the release process but it should be similar to
> > http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide
> > <http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide>, since I based
> > the Log4j build and release process after VFS.
>

> Before we do this, a couple of questions:
>
> - how hard is it to delete tags from SVN and who can do that?

You should not delete tags from SVN. If you can commit, you can manage tags
and branches AFAIK. IMO, the process should be that we VOTE on an RC tag,
if the vote passes the RC tag is copied to a release tag. If it fails, you
try again with a new RC tag. The tags live in SVN as a record of what we
VOTEd on.

Gary