On 01/06/2015 10:08 PM, Gilles wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 20:41:26 +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

>>> As long as the CM library have no dependencies, is it a problem
>>> that non-packaged (or separately packaged) code does have dependencies?
>>>
>>> Or is it that it will be more complicated to ensure that there is no
>>> such dependencies for CM itself once the "pom" file refers to them?
>>>
>>> Or is it that really the "pom" file is not allowed to contain such
>>> references?
>>
>> The userguide has dependencies and in order to compile it as part of the
>> "normal" commons-math codebase, e.g. using mvn compile, these
>> dependencies have to be specified in the pom.xml. Afaik the only way to
>> exclude these dependencies would be to use the scope "provided", but it
>> is certainly a solution I would not suggest as it wrongly implies that
>> commons-math has a reference to them, while in fact it hasn't, only the
>> userguide part.
>>
>> Normally, you solve this situations by using a multi-module setup, as
>> said below.

>>> The original request is: How do we run the examples?
>>> To be more specific: how to run a specific example from the command
>>> line?
>>>
>>> I'm perfectly fine with only modifying the "pom.xml" located in
>>>   src/userguide
>>>
>>> Would that work?
>>> Do you readily know what needs to be added?
>>
>> yes, but as sebb suggested, the easiest solution is certainly as follows:
>>
>>  * create a commons-math-userguide.jar package using mvn package
>
> Thus, copying the relevant from the "main" pom (that creates the
> "tools" JAR) over to the pom in the userguide directory?
>
>>  * copy this jar together with necessary dependencies (xchart,
>> commons-math) into a directory
>>  * run java -cp . ExampleXXX parameters
>
> That would be good enough, I guess.
>
>> The whole thing could be further simplified by creating a userguide jar
>> that already contains all dependencies in one jar.
>>
>> There could even be scripts in the userguide that can be executed by a
>> user for this purpose.
>
> That's what I meant, if "maven" can be considered as a script.

I have pushed the change to the userguide. To execute the example you do
the following:

 * go to commons-math folder, type mvn clean install
   this step is only needed if your local maven repository does not yet
   contain the latest commons-math snapshot
 * go to userguide folder (src/userguide), type mvn clean package
 * now you can run the examples like that:

java -cp target/commons-math3-examples-uber-3.5-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.apache.commons.math3.userguide.LowDiscrepancyGeneratorComparison

Thomas