On 01/08/2015 12:34 PM, Gilles wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Raising this issue once again.
> Are we going to upgrade the requirement for the next major release?

  [ ] Java 5
  [x] Java 6
  [x] Java 7
  [ ] Java 8
  [ ] Java 9

A while ago I thought that it would be cool to switch to Java 7/8 for
some of the nice new features (mainly fork/join, lambda expressions and
diamond operator, the rest is more or less unimportant for math imho).

But after some thoughts I think they are not really needed for the
following reasons:

 * the main focus of math is on developing high-quality, well tested and
documented algorithms, the existing language features are more than
enough for this

 * coming up with multi-threaded algorithms might be appealing but it is
also hard work and I wonder if it really makes sense in the times of
projects like mahout / hadoop / ... which aim for even better scalability

 * staying at Java 6/7 does not block users to use math in a Java 8
environment if wanted

just my 2cents

Thomas