On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:13:07 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Le 15/01/2015 17:15, Gilles a écrit :

I wonder: Isn't the "end of public updates"[1] (scheduled on April of
this year for Java 7) somehow going to change that picture a lot?
If not, why?

That will not change much the current situation. Java 8 is already the
default JRE proposed on http://java.com since September 2014 and its
usage is increasing steadily on desktop computers (the stats on my
application are Java 8: 25%, Java 7: 55%, Java 6: 20%). But on servers
the transition is much slower, and the OpenJDK 7 used by the Linux
distributions will be supported for several years after the end of the
public updates.

I'm interested to know more about this.
Where can I find information?  Do you have links?

Thanks,
Gilles

Emmanuel Bourg