GIlles,

Well said as always.

With respect to the goal of growing the community, I think everyone agrees that
that's a good goal.
So if we pick tools that developers are most likely to be used to, then they
are more likely to join.

The number of open source projects is growing everyday, and more and more
developers are using github
and stackoverflow facilities to get things done.  It's becoming the norm.

So we developers arrive at Apache's github repository and see "Watch" turned
off, it gives a backward appearance.

Stackoverflow is great at:
- Indexing questions
- Providing a knowledge repository
- Tagging and filtering content
- Syntax highlighting content
- Processing new questions and search previous answers

This enhances the view of and intrinsic value of  the project that these
services wrap.
It's also a great secondary source of documentation and trails of
experimentation.

As a matter of fact I think if design discussions / questions were conducted on
stackoverflow,
everyone would be pleasantly surprised at the increase in sharp feedback.
These individuals
might subsequently join the community, because they find the design fascinating.

Cheers,
- Ole