Would it be possible to release 6.0 now and release Mark's patches as 6.1
or 7.0? I'm concerned it may be quite a long time before his patches are
committed since they are not actively being reviewed and there is no
activity on them for the past couple weeks.

There is little downside to frequent releases in my experience. Infrequent
releases on the other hand can be a source of frustration as it means it
can be quite difficult to use the code that has been committed. This is the
exact reason the node.js community was splintered and the io.js fork was
created. While end users can easily build from source it can become
extremely difficult when there are multiple transitive dependencies relying
on the library. Users end up having to maintain patched versions not only
of BCEL but of the libraries that depend on BCEL which means there can be
quite a bit of overhead. As the length of time between releases grows the
number of custom patches each user has to separately maintain in each
library depending on BCEL grows. Right now it has been nine years.

Thanks,
Ben