On 9/25/15 8:09 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 07:28:48 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> Could someone summarize why those alternatives were deemed "more
>>> viable"?

>>> What was the rationale?
>>
>> Look at the archives.  We have discussed this multiple times in the
>> past in [math] and each time came to the conclusion that Thomas
>> succinctly states above.  What has changed now?
>
> We also discussed several times to stick with Java 5.
> Fortunately, that has changed. [Although sticking with Java 7 is
> still
> a bad decision IMHO.]
>
> As for logging, IIRC, the sole argument was "no dependency" because
> (IIRC) of the potential "JAR hell".
>
> If there are now well-formed answers proving that the fear was
> unfounded, that is also a change.
>
> IMO, logging is quite important for any "non-obvious" code.[1]
> [I'm again stating that, in that respect, CM is not like the other
> "Commmons" components.]

I disagree.  Good tests, API contracts, exception management and
documentation can and should eliminate the need for cluttering
low-level library code with debug logging.

> Several times, I've been obliged to create a modified version of CM
> to introduce "print" statements (poor man's logging!) in order to
> figure out why my code did not do what it was supposed to.

Here again, tests, good design, code inspection are the way to go in
low-level components.  I have also spent a lot of time researching
bugs in [math], other Commons components and other complex systems.
My experience is a little different: excessive logging / debug code
for code that contains it often just tends to get in the way,
especially after it has rotted a bit.  Rather than adding more code
to maintain so that you can have less conceptual control over the
functional code, it is better, IMNSHO, to focus on making the
functional code as simple as possible with clean well-documented,
test-validated API contracts.