On 11/5/15 1:58 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 05/11/2015 12:25, Gilles a écrit :
>> Hello.
>>
>> On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 10:13:00 +0100, luc wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to release 3.6 in the upcoming weeks.
>>> There have been a bunch of bug fixes and a few evolutions that are
>>> important to me.
>> s/3.6/4.0/
>>
>> And the statement is still true.
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Of course, once 3.6 is out the MATH_3_X branch will remain alive and
>>> we could also release other versions later on in the 3.x series.
>> Should we worry that the next major release will be endlessly delayed?
> I think we are really quite far from releasing 4.0 as in many packages
> we did not even start refactoring API. Optimization is clearly the most
> well known example, but there are also other things waiting in the pipe
> for geometry and ode.

I agree on this.  One thing I forgot to mention above is I think we
may have a few places in 3.x optimization where every way to do
something is deprecated.  I suggest we take a careful look and
undeprecate where necessary to make 3.6 usable without warnings.  I
may be wrong since I don't use that code myself; but I think its
worth taking a careful look and considering removal of some
deprecations.

Phil