On 12/29/15 2:33 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Le 29/12/2015 09:21, Thomas Neidhart a écrit :
>>> No.  Not sufficient.  What you have done is changed the internal
>>> implementation of all of the Bitstream generators.  I am not
>>> convinced that you have not broken anything.  I will have to do the
>>> testing myself.  I see no point in fiddling with the internals of
>>> this code that has had a lot of eyeballs and testing on it.  I was
>>> not personally looking forward to researching the algorithms to make
>>> sure any invariants may be broken by these changes; but I am now
>>> going to have to do this.  I have to ask why.  Please at some point
>>> read [1], especially the sections on "Avoid Flexibility Syndrom" and
>>> "Value Laziness as a Virtue."  Gratuitous refactoring drains
>>> community energy.
>> +1, on top of that I think we should aim to refactor the parts that
>> really need refactoring and try to keep the number of incompatibilities
>> to the 3_X branch as minimal as possible.
>>
>> Thomas

> In all the papers I have read concerning pseudo random number
> generation, the basic model was based on small chunks of bits,
> much of the time the size of an int because this is what computer
> manages directly (they have no provision to manage chunks of 5 or
> 11 bits for example).

That's what I thought.  Internally, is it correct to assume that the
generation is always in int-sized blocks so Gilles is correct that
the bits parameter is only used for output truncation?

> Deriving other primitive types from this (boolean, long, double) is
> really an add-on. I even asked an expert about the (Pierre L'Ecuyer
> if I remember well) about some explanations for converting to double
> (which is simply done by multiplying by a constant representing the
> weight of the least significant bit in order to constrain the range to
> [0; 1]). His answer was that this ensured the theoretical mathematical
> proofs that apply to uniform distribution still apply, as only this
> case (uniformity over a multi-dimensional integral grid) has been
> studied. It seems nothing has been studied about using the exponential
> features of floating point representation in relationship with
> double random number generation directly.

Makes sense.  The - excellent - tests included with the Well,
Mersenne and Isaac generators verify (as Gilles states) that
nextInt() itself is likely unaffected by the changes above.  What I
am worried about is the conversions.  Do those changes look correct
to you?  That is what needs to be carefully reviewed and tested.