Thanks for the great details, Bernd. Some questions/comments:

I hadn't even stumbled across VFS-570 due to its lack of fixVersion=2.1. Are there more that need to be correctly tagged which could potentially block the release of 2.1?

I'm not sure I follow you about the concern of using maven-release-plugin with a multi-module maven project. This works just fine (@see other Apache maven projects I'm involved in). If there are demons laying in wait, I can knock them out as I find them.

Are there instructions on running clirr? I'm not familiar with the tool (and I don't see any configuration in the top-level pom.xml).

Do you have the karma to make a 2.2 version on JIRA? That'd be a nice help to start moving stuff out of 2.1 (as well as make sure things sitting in Patch Available don't get forgotten). I would lean towards the side of only putting bug-fixes into a 2.1.1 and preferring towards any new features/changes into a 2.2 (to closer follow the definition of semver). We presently have 3 major and 1 minor version unresolved for fixVersion=2.1 -- these where the issues I previously referred to that I felt OK bumping out as well.

Gary -- "BC breakage" == base-class breakage? As in: the common base-class for all of the VFS Providers has changed (and would require changes from anyone downstream that has built their own)?

I can try to start pounding on an initial RC in the evenings this week. I'll be sure to reach out as I need some more help/karma ;)

Gary Gregory wrote:
Yes, there is a BC breakage for providers, is that grounds for a package
and Maven coordinate rename to vfs3?

Gary

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Bernd Eckenfels<e...@zusammenkunft.net>