Hello,

see inline.

Am Tue, 26 Apr 2016 18:05:01 -0400
schrieb Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>:

> Thanks for the great details, Bernd. Some questions/comments:
>
> I hadn't even stumbled across VFS-570 due to its lack of
> fixVersion=2.1. Are there more that need to be correctly tagged which
> could potentially block the release of 2.1?

I did not waste much time in setting/unsetting the fixversion. I
modified some severities and closed some. But the blocker bugs (the
ones I considered) are all closed.

You could do a mass change on the existing bugs, but I am sure that
causes some discussion and especially people setting the fields back to
their preferences (at least that happend a few times in the past).

> I'm not sure I follow you about the concern of using
> maven-release-plugin with a multi-module maven project. This works
> just fine (@see other Apache maven projects I'm involved in). If
> there are demons laying in wait, I can knock them out as I find them.

Well yes, I use the release plugin aswell (in fact I did a company
internal release of VFS 2.1 with it already). I think it was also used
for the 2.0 release. But there are some things (especially the tagging
of the SVN and the tag in the POM) which is currently not very
preferable in apache commons I think. I would not use it for a release
(especially as rolling back and revovering would be painful). But I
agreee with you, it should work.

> Are there instructions on running clirr? I'm not familiar with the
> tool (and I don't see any configuration in the top-level pom.xml).

You can run the "mvn -Psandbox clean site" build (possibly follwoed by
a site tst deploy). The clirr report is part of it. I had a site build
from the snapshot on people.apache.org, but I havent checked if/how the
new server would look like. So currently you need to run it locally.

> Do you have the karma to make a 2.2 version on JIRA? That'd be a nice
> help to start moving stuff out of 2.1 (as well as make sure things
> sitting in Patch Available don't get forgotten).

Yes, seems like I can do it. I created 2.2.

> I would lean towards
> the side of only putting bug-fixes into a 2.1.1 and preferring
> towards any new features/changes into a 2.2 (to closer follow the
> definition of semver). We presently have 3 major and 1 minor version
> unresolved for fixVersion=2.1 -- these where the issues I previously
> referred to that I felt OK bumping out as well.

> Gary -- "BC breakage" == base-class breakage? As in: the common
> base-class for all of the VFS Providers has changed (and would
> require changes from anyone downstream that has built their own)?

It refers to (binary) backward compatibility. For a client a new method
in an interface is a compatible change which fits into a minor update.
However when you have to implement a interface as a VFS provider you
wont be binary and source compatible. For most classes it is not a
problem since the mehtod is provided by the AbstractBaseClass for an
interface (but not all Interfaces have that and it was never mandatory
for an provider to use them).

> I can try to start pounding on an initial RC in the evenings this
> week. I'll be sure to reach out as I need some more help/karma ;)

Anything more needed from me?

Gruss
Bernd