Have a look at the scripts in

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/scripts/

I used those for VALIDATOR and NET.

On 4 May 2016 at 04:43, Josh Elser <els...@apache.org> wrote:
> Here's what I've been doing. The generic instructions are woefully
> incomplete (before someone chimes in again - no, not just because "VFS is a
> multi-module project"). I think I have this on point for rc1, so I'm writing
> it down here before I forget (we can figure out where it *should* go later).
>
> rc0 only:
> # Make the branch
> $ svn cp trunk branches/VFS-XXX
> $ cd branches/VFS-XXX
> # Set the proper versions
> $ mvn release:prepare

We use a tag not a branch, but perhaps that is what the release plugin does.
In which case I assume the branch is taken to avoid mangling trunk?

> ---
>
> # Or just set it to your JDK6 installation -- this works on OSX
> $ export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v1.6)
>
> # Where ${asf.username} for me is "elserj"
> $ mvn clean package -Duser.name=${asf.username}

No need to use package if using CP40

> # Set back to 1.7 because my 1.6 installation has trouble deploying to nexus
> $ export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v1.7)

So does mine; in which case use -Pjava-1.6 below.

> $ mvn deploy -Prelease -Duser.name=${asf.username}
>
> # This is what could be consolidated via one invocation of `mvn site`
> $ mvn site:site site:stage
>
> # Move back to the root SVN repo
> $ cd ../..
> $ svn cp branches/VFS-XXX tags/commons-vfs-project-XXX-rcN

Isn't that what the release plugin does?

You might find

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/scripts/create_RC_tag.sh

easier to use - it does it all for you without needing to create a
temporary branch.

> --
>
> Things not covered above:
>
> * Copying artifacts (tarballs/zips, xsums, and sigs) into
> dist.a.o/dev/commons/... (building md5/sha1 files)
> * Closing staging repo in Nexus

That can be done using Nexus2DistDev.sh

> --
>
> Some things that could still be improved that I didn't fix:
>
> * Artifacts in dist/target are renamed when they're installed/deployed, but
> not in the local directory. Should do a rename of the file on disk so that
> what is on the RM's computer matches what is in their m2 repo and ASF nexus.

Or ignore the local copies and use Nexus2DistDev.sh which copies the
bin/src artifacts from Nexus and deploys to dist/dev and can remove
them from Nexus before closing the staging repo.

AFAIK only the deploy directory (i.e. Nexus) has the hashes.

> * `mvn site` which invokes site:site and site:stage automatically (which
> would make for a more natural build process -- `mvn deploy` would build the
> site automatically)

I don't follow that.