sebb wrote:
On 5 May 2016 at 05:49, Josh Elser<els...@apache.org>  wrote:

sebb wrote:
Have a look at the scripts in

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/scripts/

I used those for VALIDATOR and NET.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. It would be good if the generic commons release
documents referenced these if they are expected to be re-used by other
commons projects' RMs.

They are brand new, and possibly still needing some tweaks.
They don't work wit Git.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for bringing them up.

<snip>

---

# Or just set it to your JDK6 installation -- this works on OSX
$ export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v1.6)

# Where ${asf.username} for me is "elserj"
$ mvn clean package -Duser.name=${asf.username}

No need to use package if using CP40

What are you using instead of `package` to build the code...

mvn deploy

Oh ok. I understand what you meant now. A package is still running, you're just not explicitly invoking it.

--

Some things that could still be improved that I didn't fix:

* Artifacts in dist/target are renamed when they're installed/deployed,
but
not in the local directory. Should do a rename of the file on disk so
that
what is on the RM's computer matches what is in their m2 repo and ASF
nexus.

Or ignore the local copies and use Nexus2DistDev.sh which copies the
bin/src artifacts from Nexus and deploys to dist/dev and can remove
them from Nexus before closing the staging repo.

AFAIK only the deploy directory (i.e. Nexus) has the hashes.

* `mvn site` which invokes site:site and site:stage automatically (which
would make for a more natural build process -- `mvn deploy` would build
the
site automatically)

I don't follow that.

`mvn site` is invoking the "site" maven lifecycle phase. "mvn site:site` and
`mvn site:stage` are invoking executions on the maven-site-plugin. These are
two distinct kinds of actions. We can configure the maven-site-plugin
(and/or other necessary tasks) to run at the 'site' lifecycle phase for a
more 'natural' process.

I see.

I meant I did not see why 'mvn deploy ' would/should create the site.

Ah, ok. (with some steps omitted) The lifecycle phases are: package -> verify -> install -> site -> deploy. Running a deploy also implies that the site is built.

Again, for now, this is just for my benefit. When this is all over, I'll
try
to add this all to the website. Please point out anything wrong/missing.
Thanks.