I really don’t know why you are making such a big deal about this.  I’ve been
using the maven release plugin to release Log4j 2 for several years. That build
was created based on the VFS 2.0 release process that also used the maven
release plugin.  As I have said several times, releasing VFS is a lot harder
than the rest of Commons because almost all are single module projects. Log4j 2
has a ton of modules and doesn’t have any significant problems that can’t
easily be dealt with.

The process Josh documented for the 2.release seems a bit more complicated than
what I did for 2.0, but if it works for him, great.

Ralph