On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 08:53:22 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Le 23/06/2016 à 01:36, Gilles a écrit :

the only thing that
was concretely accepted as "fine" is the fork of Commons Math
outside Apache!

I don't remember voting and accepting the fork, do you?

I did not mention "voting".

And "accepted as fine", it was (in a mail by Gary), even though
the real reasons for the fork were not given.

And "fine" was a summary of something like "it is best for all
parties".
Well, I don't think so.

For 10 years, I put up with _many_ things I disliked, because
I am convinced that team work is better (as long as the rules
are well defined). [It's the latter that was lacking in CM and
left so much room for arguing to no end.]

The fork was not
a decision from the Commons PMC. We had no other choice than
acknowledging it, because that's how the open source world works.

Of course, but that's a very short summary.  It leaves out all the
context (like that there hasn't been any attempt to reconcile the
viewpoints).

What I'd have expected is a strong statement that the fork was
indeed not good (as you say below!).

So
even if it's indeed "fine" from a legal point of view,

From a legal POV, we did not have to "acknowledge" anything.

I don't consider
it good for the community and the code.

My point, precisely.