I'm -1, because indeed "It didn't work for Jakarta". You can't really
compare Commons to the Incubator, because the ultimate goal of an
incubated project is to become a TLP with its own community, so a
dedicated mailing list makes sense. Splitting the Commons mailing list
will just split the community and harm the cross pollination between
projects.

I expect the surge of activity around commons-crypto to calm down after
the first releases, so a dedicated mailing list doesn't make sense as it
will ultimately have a low traffic.

The case of commons-math is different. If we agree to promote it to TLP
once the community has recovered, then creating a dedicated list now is
sensible. This would be equivalent to incubating the Math TLP within
Commons as I suggested.

Emmanuel Bourg