On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 4:56 PM Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric.
>
> Le ven. 8 mars 2019 à 22:22, Eric Barnhill <ericbarnh...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > I am definitely willing to mentor development of the stats libraries as I
> > was last year. Now that I work more in data science I am happy to also
> > mentor the ML library
>
> What are you referring to?

Commons-math had a machine learning library. Now that I look it over it is
really a bit emaciated. Still, I think there is an opportunity here to get
some components up to date that could be pretty widely used, rethinking the
structure and grammar of the library to echo Python's highly successful
scikit-learn and Keras libraries.

There are a lot of young people who are interested in getting into data
science, we might get a good candidate or two looking to distinguish
themselves. Also Java is such an important language in data science and
engineering, even if a lot of the ML model building to date is in R and
Python, so it is a great language for someone entering ML to know.

> You have to register as a mentor. :-)

Sent.

> Then, read and follow the guidelines:
>   http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>
> What should be done ASAP is tag existing, or new issues,
> with the appropriate label so that tasks will appear here:
>     http://s.apache.org/gsoc2019ideas

Will do tomorrow, hopefully is not too late.