On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 15:06, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 15:59, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > > Ideally:
> > >     $ mvn -Pbetarelease [... other settings ...] -Dbetasubversion=alpha1
> > > where the latter profile would take care of changing the
> > > toplevel package name
> > >     o.a.c.somecomp
> > >     o.a.c.somecomp.alpha1
> > >
> > > And, if the upcoming version is, say, "2.3", the generated
> > > artefact(s) would be:
> > >   commons-somecomp-2.3-alpha1
> >
> > That's not what I intended to ask.
> >
> > What problem does the ability to readily change the package name actually
> > solve?
> > And how are the amended packages going to be used?
>
> Maybe, I don't understand the question.
> The purpose is to be able to quickly produce several beta releases that
> don't have to be compatible with other beta releases but that can coexist
> for the purpose of allowing users to compare the impact of the changes.

I don't understand how the user can actually test the release unless
they also produce code that is likewise shaded to invoke the
appropriate version of the package.

Surely it would be easier to test the code if it used the standard
package names, i.e. no need to change the user code?
i.e. take their app, and run it against the relevant alpha- or beta-release.
This is already possible if the user has the ability to compile the
component from source.