On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 12:16 PM Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Case mainly in point is getting to the first release of new components.
> This is happening now for [Imaging], and will be soon (hopefully) for
> [Numbers], [Statistics] and [Geometry].

Okay, so the main issue is getting releases out into the hands of
folks sooner rather than later.  That, I can get behind for sure.

> IIUC, the former is going to release a beta version without modifying
> the top-level package name.  This will create the possibility of JAR
> hell (when 1.0 will be out).

I think the package rename piece is the part that is throwing me off.
I'd rather release something as "beta" or "alpha" (we've done this
before IIRC) where folks understand that things can change when the
final release comes out.  I would leave the package names intact (they
should be whatever they're going to be in the final release, barring
any reorganization or whatever), however.

> Since we don't have that much review/feedback on these new and/or
> refactored codes, I thought we could be on a safer ground if we first
> release beta version(s) that
>  * won't be subject to JAR hell and
>  * will be easy (i.e. just add the dependency in the POM file) to
>    integrate for people kind enough to give it a try.
>    [If it's not easy[1], they won't do it.]

Unless you also change the maven coordinates, these two flavors of the
same artifact alpha/beta and "real" will not be able to coexist in the
same maven project, so the JAR hell issue isn't possible.  You can't
just change the package names and allow them to coexist.  That's why
we change both when we do a major release.

In all, I really like the spirit of this, but I think the answer would
be to just release them as alphas/betas while keeping everything else
(artifactId/package name) intact.  Release early, release often! :)