> > On Apr 1, 2020, at 8:43 AM, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I would think we would only want to put tags that have a [VOTE] thread
> >> associated under rel/ because they are required to remain in the public
> >> domain.
> >
> > A vote that *passed*, you mean (?).
> > Everything that is not officially released is so-to-speak "internal".
> > Is there any interest in having failed attempts made read-only?
> >

> Yes, I would think we would want the code on which we voted kept as well as
> the emails. I agree the commits are kept in the [VOTE] thread, but those are
> technically mutable. If I understand correctly, [infra] has put a special
> restriction on our mirrors of GitHub such that tags with the prefix “rel/“
> cannot be overwritten. Thus, the only way to ensure the history is
> permanently retained is to have it be under a tag with a “rel/“ prefix. We
> otherwise rely on the good will (which I do trust) of our committers to not
> force push over a branch or delete RC tags.

I think I understand the purpose of "rel/".  My take is that it is
*not* useful to have a tag history.  [IIUC "rel/" is for "release",
not release history.]

The code history is in the commits; the release history is in the
*one* tag that has been accepted for release (and must be
archived with the "rel/" prefix).

Even if other "rc" tags were deleted, what would be the real
harm?  The commit associated with the tag (also mentioned in
the "[Vote]" message) would still exist.

To confirm, one way or the other, could someone please post
the link to where this was all explained?

Thanks,
Gilles