On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 7:57 AM Peter Lee <peter...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The builds in jenkins and github actions are failing.
> For jenkins, the java7, 14 and 16 builds are failing. As we have moved
> from JAVA 7 to 8, maybe we should disable java 7 build in jenkins? Besides
> the java 14 and 16 are also failing, and we can have some "allow failure"
> config on them.
> For github actions, the java 14 and 15 builds are failing. We can easily
> make java 14 build a part of experimental build to have it
> continue-on-error.
> What do you think?

Compress master now requires Java 8, so we can drop Java 7 from Jenkins,
please do go ahead. GitHub and Travis do not build on Java 7, their lowest
Java version is 8.

For Java 14 and up, failures are due to the removal of Pack200 support from
the JDK. I think we are still trying to figure out how to remedy this
within Compress, maybe by bringing in Apache Harmony code. For a Compress
2.0, we could talk about dropping Pack200 altogether along with any BC
breaking changes we might want to do.

Gary

cheers,