The use case you're describing is fairly well handled by the git
subtree command. There are some git plugins that add more complex
workflows on top of that, but the base command is what you're looking
for. Git submodules, in my experience, are far more useful when
pointing to release commits and treating submodule updates like
dependency updates. If you want the equivalent of how Subversion lets
you link to another repo as a directory, that would be git-subtree,
not git-submodule.

Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>