> On Aug 31, 2020, at 7:01 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My target use case here is: I want an easy way to work on all of Commons in
> a new VM or a new machine, so I'd like to be able to check out all of
> Commons in one go from any level for example here is an imaginary git
> submodule tree:
> - Apache Commons, a git repo with submodules:
> - -  Apache Commons Proper, a git repo with submodules:
> - - - Apache Commons Lang
> - - - etc
> - -  Apache Commons Sandbox, a git repo with submodules:
> - - - etc
>
> Right now I am checking out each and every repo one at a time. Yes, we
> could stash OS-specific scripts some place.
>
> I was hoping to start at the Apache Commons Proper level. If I need a
> script to update each submodule to the latest HEAD, then this is less
> elegant but understandable from a git POV.
>
> Maybe there is a git shorthand for this…

I do this at work but we use BitBucket. It has the concept of projects and
repos live under projects. So I wrote scripts that use the REST API to
determine all the repos under and project and then use the git command to clone
them all. Once you have them under a single directory it is easy to write a
script to do git pull on all of them to keep them updated. IntelliJ also
supports loading them all into a single window.

I believe Git supports labels or something. I know that the ASF knows that each
repo belongs to a specific project so I would be surprised if you couldn’t
accomplish something similar to what I have done using that information.

Ralph