Circa 2016 or 2017 I was trying to get commons projects ready for java
9, so trying to get Automatic-Module-Name added into the manifest.
Moved onto other non commons projects for 2018 and 2019, helped with
modules and jupiter upgrades.
End of 2019 most of the java 9 work on other projects was blocked as
everything had dependencies on commons projects before they could be
true java 9+ modules projects.
Attempt to suggest a commons roadmap towards Java 11 as min version,
i.e. release current code at current version, bump to 1.8 and release
by end of 2020 say. Bump to Java 11 and release by mid 2021. So for a
year or 2 some projects might have multiple active master branches, so
if people do need commons-X on jdk 1.6 it is supported, but if no one
reports any issues it's maybe closed at the end of 2022.
Start of this year, try sorting out missing .gitignore and getting
them more standard, as some have target/ others /target/ others
**/target others **/target/. Upgrade to hamcrest v2.x. Move from junit
v4.x to junit-vintage v5.x and add junit-jupiter so dual support. Move
tests to junit jupiter classes. Upgrade maven dependencies/plugins to
latest versions. Look at adding using toolchain to select the jdk
instead of using the environment version.
Adding mvnw in prep for maven 3.7.0 which will have it now as part of
core maven instead of takari mvnw. So the project controls the maven
version, and when to upgrade.
I was going to start suggesting looking at moving commons-* to
org.apache.commons groupId so all are standard. Also how commons-lang3
does it's packages so commons-lang and also be a dependency and have
different packages so they don't clash. But held off...

Hope that gives an insight into my history with commons... some are
emails, some are jira tickets conversions, some are github
conversations.

My goal is to get commons upgrade to jpms, so the downstream projects
I help out in 2018/2019 can upgrade and do a final jdk 1.8 release and
move onto jdk 11.

So pr's for junit assertThrows I think are all done for
commons-collections, commons-digester and commons-validator.

Will look at vfs and maybe also rng regarding tidying up the tests etc.

John