WRT rant:
We call that "technical debt" and to move the needle on that developers are
(sometimes or always depending on you company) asked to explain the
"business value" for spending the time (IOW the money) to do so. At which
point said developers roll their eyes, pull their remaining hair out, or
both, before being asked to go another "death march"...

Gary