On 2021-05-10, 13:52, "Brett Okken" <brett.okken...@gmail.com> wrote:

    WARNING - External email; exercise caution.

    Out of curiosity, what specifically about MethodHandles use consumed the
    time? Was it the discovery/initialization or the steady-state usage?
    My observation has been that if the MH itself is static final and
    invokeExact is used, performance at steady-state is identical to making the
    call explicitly from code. Deviating from either of those conditions can
    lead to meaningful performance degradation. Aleksey Shipilev touches on why
    each are important to what the compiler can do at runtime in a couple of
    his blogs/presentations.

My MethodHandle declaration wasn't final, I'll test that.
Secondly, MethodHandle.invokeExact() takes and returns an object so there's a
boxing/unboxing involved as well (as the Math/FastMath methods returns
primitives).

(Now I see my test node has gone the way of all flesh. I'll get back to you on
the test on final)
Cheers
Erik

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/Tullvaktsv%C3%A4gen+15,+Stockholm?entry=gmail&source=g>