That's my first message on this list, but I've been reading the messages
for some months.

I'm interested in contributing to Apache Commons, but it was a little
confusing to find where to help. Some of the issues in Jira are very old,
but not solved. It's difficult for a newcomer like me to understand if that
issue is not relevant (and maybe should have been discarded) or if it's
only a matter of lack of someone to get it and have it done. Maybe using
some labels, much like it's used in GH, like "help wanted", "bug",
"enhancement" or even "good first issue".

There is too much information and some of them are inconsistent. For
example:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CODEC/issues/CODEC-286 is open
but
https://github.com/apache/commons-codec/pull/40 is closed

Maybe there should be a better integration between GH and Jira. Use GH
Actions to change the Jira issue status on some events.

There are also some issues that were closed and reopened, because there is
no consensus on what should be done, like CODED-253 [open] (and CODEC-257
[closed]), about moving from Java 7 to 8. That's the kind of thing that
scares newcomers. I'm even afraid that this message can be misinterpreted
as somehow aggressive. That's not my intention, I only want to give you a
view from outside.

I've finally found that CODEC-285 is an issue that maybe I can help
(Upgrade to JUnit v5.6.0). But there are already 4 PRs there. I'm not sure
from where I should start: create a branch from the master or from some
branch in those PRs? Starting from the master it's possible to have
conflicts when merging all PRs. My plan is really to convert *all* tests in
CODEC to Junit 5. Can I do it in a single massive PR or should I create a
PR for each package?

Should I step in on this issue? Can someone guide me in those small doubts
I have?

Regards,

Itamar Carvalho