Hi sebb,

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 at 23:48, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Remark that I am talking about moving whole packages to new artifacts.
>
> Will these packages be renamed?
>
> If not, then I don't see how you can prevent possible class duplication.

Do they need to be renamed? This breaks backward compatibility.

A user could have duplicated classes if he has an old
`commons-compress` 1.26.0 together with a newer
`commons-compress-core`, but dependency management can be used to
prevent version mismatches.

Since an example is better than a thousand words I submitted a PoC on
how to split Commons Compress:

https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/pull/490

A simple `mvn clean verify` succeeds. I just need to smoothen out the
CI's failures.

Piotr