On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been holding off on wading into this, but I think that some sort of an
> idea has jelled.
>
> I wonder about Google's statement of the mission. If Google's statement of
> the mission is: "Get smart students involved in open source," then we have
> one situation. If, on the other hand, it is more like "Get smart students to
> do original work (in the academic sense of the term) in an open source
> context," then we have another.

<snip/>

Its upto the participating orgs really to decide which students they
want to accept. We want the best students with the highest chances of
successfully completing their GSoC projects (and even beyond, remain
interested in OSS development).

The motivation for original ideas isn't purely in the academic sense
of it, but also in the observation that on average, those who come up
with their own proposals feel more connected with the project at hand
and are more likely to retain interest and drive the work to a
successful completion.

-Rahul