Anjana,

Thanks for your comments.

A little history is probably relevant here. Woman@ was set up on Aug 7 2005, during that time it has had very little activity with the most recent email being Sept 14th 2007.

The fact is that people are not looking for a list called "women@". Nevertheless the reasons that the list was originally created are still valid.

The community development project was created last year. In our original resolution we had not proposed taking the women@ "activity". Instead we are focussing on making it easier for people in general rather than on the issues facing a specific group. The board requested that we take ownership of the women@ work too. Since women@ has always been "just a list" it has had no official role in the foundation. Bringing the activity into ComDev provides a vehicle through which more action can be taken if there are people willing and able to undertake such action.

Rolling the women@ list into the d...@community.a.o list need not be a permanent solution. If there is sufficient momentum behind the women@ objectives then we could, at some point in the future, create wo...@community.apache.org - however, at this point in time there is no need for such a list as demonstrated by the lack of activity on the existing women@ list [2].

Today, if you search for "women" on the apache website the first hit is the women section of the wiki [1]. By bringing women@ list (and objectives) under the ComDev banner we are potentially providing a much more "official" and "recognisable" home for women@ activities.

It is my hope that we can take advantage of the fact that the Community Development team consists of approximately 50% men and women.

Ross

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/Women/
[2] http://markmail.org/search/women+list:org.apache.women+order:date-backward