On Thu, September 27, 2012 11:24, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 27 September 2012 10:17, "Ulrich Stärk" <u...@spielviel.de> wrote:
>> So an additional binary package including e.g. your Hibernate
>> integration
>> and a separate location in SVN/GIT where users can get the sources are
>> OK
>> IMO as long as both are not part of your official source distribution.
>
> This is not correct. The ASF does not maintain code under incompatible
> licenses.
>
> Ross

Were did I say that? I'm talking about code depending on software with
incompatible licenses, such as a Hibernate integration.

Specifically the Hibernate integrations have been discussed several times
and if I'm not mistaken the resolutions were always "deal with them
according to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional"; (e.g.
[1]). So yes, the integration code may be maintained at the ASF (under the
ASL of course) but not included in your distribution. I can imagine the
same holds true for other integrations.

But really, this is a question for legal and the PMC to decide.

>From a community point of view Ross is absolutely right. The ASF is not a
place where non-ASL licensed software is developed and maintained. I
simply wanted to point a way out of this dilemma.

Uli

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-8