I personally like the idea of giving committer right on request. I do not
like the fact that is has to be earned...we are volunteers not workers !

However I fully understand PMCs that are concerned about uncontrolled
commits, so I see the "right on request" go hand in hand with a way of
"removing right". PMC should be able to, with reason and warning, to "ban"
a committer, and that should be effective for all ASF. I also think that
people with commit rights who are inactive for a longer period of time (I
am not sure how long that should be, but no longer than a year) should
automatically have revoked the right (with the option that they can request
it again).

ICLA is a must.

I know from other projects (outside) ASF that they talk about committers
and committer-interest, the latter group is controlled/reviewed by an old
committer. With that, committers save time to commit patches, and new
people feel welcome.

but that is just my personal opion.
Jan Iversen.