It would be a shame to scrap the idea because we are presuming the worst in
everyone. That seems very anti-ASF to me. A better approach might be to
appoint "social" moderators (i.e. gate keepers of the civility) that reign
the conversation back in if and when things go off-track.

Also, we do have a code of conduct, ala Ubuntu:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/voluntary-code-of-conduct.txt

--
NS