Sent: 10/29/2013 13:38
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: Heads-up: Traffic Server summit in October 2013
On Sep 20, 2013, at 8:41 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

>> In terms of how event in a box would have helped you, if you have any
>> specific observations we would love to here them. We can't promise to
>> provide everything, but we'll do our best.
>
> Yep, let me collect that and reply in a few days or so.

Alright, so we completed our Summit. Overall, it was pretty successful
I think, about 40 people attended at least one of the 2 days. Below
are some of the thoughts I collected while organizing this.

Cheers,

— Leif

The below is also shared via this Evernote link:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s29/sh/dd0155ff-21f6-47f1-84a1-fb74b56241aa/38e3021c87c54e22dac3f871fd4ce08d

Equipment:
        • One of the most frustrating things to deal with is getting
appropriate A/V equipment (and software / accounts / services) to be
able to allow for remote participation. Some ideas could be to provide
                • Actual hardware such as cameras, high end microphones
(satellite
microphones would be good), or going hog wild, advanced TP devices.
                • Software as appropriate for helping with this (streaming /
group chats etc.)
                • Perhaps get account(s) with service providers such as YouTube
event streaming (closed beta I think?), WebEx, Cisco/Tandberg TP or
Citrix.

Administration
        • A check list for all things that *must* be done per ASF
requirements (e.g. trademarks).
        • Check list for other things that the organizer should be aware of.
Examples:
                • Session schedules
                • Session Chairs
                • Where to post these schedules
        • How to get the word out in general. PR / Press help.
        • Tools / sites to help with registrations, schedules, calendar, and
such planning

Knowledge
        • How (if any) help can people get from Travel budget. How would an
organizer look into this ?
        • Sponsoring in general. This is a big void for me personally, we’re
lucky to have PMC members who can get lunches and locations for our
meetings :).